Habroxia 2 Review

 









An Intergalactic Indie Gem-A Habroxia 2 Review

Habroxia 2 has been a game on my Steam wishlist for quite some time, but I couldn't really pin a finger on why I hadn't purchased it yet. Following a substantial update around June of this year, I had no choice but to pull the trigger and give Lillymo Games' Habroxia 2 a shot. So how exactly does it stand up to the field of 2D space shooters out there?

Side-Scrolling with Finesse

What immediately surprised me was the Star Fox esque elements this game used in its approach to gameplay. Across the adventure you'll have many levels with alternate exits and bosses, all branching out to their own separate paths. This is something I haven't really seen done in a 2D shooter, and I had fun playing through levels I had previously beaten with a sharp eye looking for an alternate exit (keep in mind it's nothing too cryptic so finding the extra content isn't some monolithic task). 

The game will also change perspective quite frequently as well, changing from a gradius-like left to right scrolling style to a top to bottom 1942 scrolling style (not as much of a control change, but think of something like those all range mode sections in Star Fox 64). It was neat adjusting my approach to using abilities and sub weapons depending on screen orientation, an adjustment I hadn't even considered prior to playing a game like this. 

However Habroxia 2 keeps itself distinct by having a shop full of various upgrades for your main weapon, its spread and fire rate, as well as upgrades for every single powerup you'll encounter through your playthrough. While some of the upgrades seem so much better than others, namely I found that the powerup upgrades were very underwhelming compared to ship upgrades, it was still fun to have such a wide variety to choose from. This shop also kept me interested in money pick ups even in NG++ because of the sheer amount of upgrades availiable. 

In another surprise, Habroxia 2 also features a fairly robust story alongside its retro and simple visual style. Although it's a bit of a shock to see a serious story alongside this kind of game, I feel it actually adds a lot to the experience. Combing through writing entries and learning more about each enemy/boss was more enjoyable than I would've thought (there's even a compendium with all the enemies in the game with a log for each of them). For a game type I originally considered fine without a story, I was nevertheless surprised in what these logs added!

One of my favorite aspects of the game was how it handled sub weapons, allowing you to equip a litany of front and back firing versions to your arsenal. Also, by timing it just right when the sub weapon charges up, you can unleash a much stronger version of this alternate fire to wipe out tougher enemies-a must have skill for tackling the games new game+ and new game++ run-throughs. The consistent controls and tight mechanics were so sound I even went out of my way to get every achievement for the game, which was far less difficult than I had imagined. 

Each level of the game also features an optional astronaut to save, which were always tucked in positions requiring a little planning to save properly. Also, each level has a specially marked bounty enemy which rewards extra credits for its take down. In addition to trying to get as large of a combo by not getting hit and killing enemies, I found that these two little extras in each level keep gameplay interesting without adding too many alternate objectives. 

I'd say its perfect but the only thing I really had issue with was the inconsistent animation style. A lot of the basic moving animations for your ship feel too simple, and could've really used some additional frames to smooth out. I understand its a retro aesthetic, but some of the bosses just felt like stagnant objects being flung around like someone took a PNG and moved it with their mouse in photoshop. On the bright side, the lack of any overly produced effects makes the moments where you need to dodge clear and unmistakable. Never did I encounter a moment where I couldn't see what was hitting me, which is a huge plus especially as the difficulty ramps up. In an aside from visuals, I found great enjoyment from listening to the chiptune soundtrack, which I found more than good enough throughout the whole game.

Verdict

Habroxia 2 is a delight to play through fully, and kept me hooked for all of its new game plus content. There was a genuine desire on my end to master each level and see what the game had to throw at me next. For lovers of the genre and those curious, you absolutely must try out this fair and charming take on the 2D space shooter. 

9.5/10-Utterly Delightful Space Blasting


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monolith Review

Exo One Review

The Importance of Itch.io