Hellblusser Review

 










FPS Dungeon Crawling Fun-A Hellblusser Review

Hellblusser was a game I saw earlier this year on twitter during its infancy but eventually forgot about as time passed. Eventually I stumbled back upon Sokpop Collective's work, and also found out these madmen make a game a month! (If you'd like to support this team, which have already created 80 games already, you can join their patreon here) Without further ado, let's check out Hellblusser, and see if this was special or something to forget about.

Dungeon Crawling and Spellcasting

Hellblusser has a very interesting artstyle consisting of what I'd call super cell shading, meaning taking that initial artstyle and highlights outlines even more and ups contrast to the max. What results is a somewhat nostalgic visual theme that sets Hellblusser apart from other first person dungeon crawlers.

 

Speaking of first person dungeon crawlers, I typically dislike their adherence to stiff movement and restrictive dodge mechanics. What Hellblusser does is modernize what some of the older Elder Scrolls games sought to create. In HB you will look for enemy attack patterns, block or strafe accordingly, and then cast your spell or attack with your blade. As you travel deeper through the games three worlds until you stumble upon shops and rest areas, acquiring upgrades and equipment along the way. It breaks down expansive spell menus and damage numbers to more controlled and simple gameplay. By cutting the fat off of these games, Hellblusser is immediately enjoyable. 

Although it may be simple and not that particularly difficult, I had a lot of fun with Hellblusser just casually strolling through its levels. It took me only 3 runs to get through the entire thing, and, with an unlockable endless mode, I like to boot it up for a little bit from time to time. The music also adds to this experience, with a great soundtrack full of vivid synths. 

Be sure to check out the full OST here!

As for its downsides, I'd say weapon balance is an issue. During my first two runs the weapons I bought were fairly standard, but on the third one I found a hopelessly overpowered fire sword and blasted through the rest of the game with ease. Also, the first boss is a cute little puzzle to defeat, whereas the last two literally revolve around the same exact idea. This left the bosses feeling strange and same-y, hindering my enjoyment of them. Even with these criticisms in mind, I found this game ultimately worth the wonderful $5 price tag. 

Verdict

Hellblusser definitely surprised me when it came up on my steam radar, but it certainly is worth the $5 investment. Hell, I liked it so much I think I'll go back and give one of  Sokpop Collective's 80 other games a shot. For a quick little jam, Hellblusser is is worth giving up a sandwich for. 

8.7/10-A Short Little Jam 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monolith Review

Exo One Review

The Importance of Itch.io